I pray that, according to the riches of his glory, he may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through his Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love. I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. — Ephesians 3:16-19
At First UMC DS we have a wide assortment of ministry and education programs to help you and your family members grow in your faith and enjoy fellowship with others in our congregation and community. There is something for everyone!
Ministries for Children & Youth
Jesus said, “Let the children come to me.” (Matthew 19:14). We take his words seriously. The promises that were made at a child’s baptism mean we participate in the raising of the next generation and enjoy bringing children into a relationship with God. To learn more about our programs for children and youth, click on the tabs below.
- Mighty Methodists seeks to empower kids from preK-5th grade to learn about faith, memorize biblical passages, lead worship, and be in mission. Recently they learned more about the sacrament, led us in liturgical dance, and collected cans for our Food Pantry. They are the future servant leaders of the church!
Being a teenager can be a very difficult and confusing time. We live in an age of distraction, and it’s difficult to hear the voice of God when there is so much noise around us. Our Youth Group provides opportunities for youth to develop a relationship with God on their own terms in a safe space. Our dedicated youth minister and Youth Council keep activities and studies relevant and meaningful. Our youth have led the entire church in worship, hosted youth district events, led life changing retreats, and even preached!
Serving our church and community is a core value we possess. Our youth have fed the homeless, served with the Livingston Food Pantry, and gone beyond the geographical boundaries of Louisiana to serve others. The Youth Group meets Sunday evenings from 5-7 p.m. in the parsonage, across the street from the sanctuary. Parsonage Address: 320 Mattie street, Denham Springs, Louisiana 70726
Our time together on Sunday Evenings consist of bible lessons, small group activities, games, fun outings, and of course food! We strive to be a place where the youth of the church and community can become well rounded Christian disciple’s that are prepared to go out and live into their calling.
For more information on Youth activities and events, contact Suzy Rose, Youth Minister at (225) 665-8995.
Ministries for Adults
We offer a variety of ministries for adults that provide opportunities for spiritual growth, bible study, and service. Click on the tabs below to learn more.
- In the Greek, “Agape” means “unconditional love.” This sacrificial kind of love is demonstrated through the women of our church who meet once a month in two circles (one group that meets in the morning, and another group that meets in the evening). They engage in bible study, share devotions, give generously, and practice good stewardship as they tend to needs within the church and beyond our church walls.
- We have an active men’s ministry with the historic and forward thinking United Methodist Men (UMM). They meet in small groups, invite speakers to discuss area needs, offer their handiwork and physical labor to church members and others in need, perform community service projects such as cleaning up a local handicap-accessible playground, and so much more. Enjoy breakfast with our UMM group on the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. in the fellowship hall/Casual Worship Center.
- Our Young at Heart group for those 50 years and older meets the third Wednesday each month for fellowship and lunch together. These senior members provide valuable support for our outreach ministries and demonstrate faithfulness to those of all ages in our congregation.
- On the first Friday of the month, adults from our congregation (and guests) are invited to join us at an area restaurant for and evening of fun, food, and fellowship. Reservations must be made in advance. Check our Events calendar for more details.
Sunday School class lists and descriptions coming soon!